Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hello, My Name Is...Part 3

Here you go folks! The last installment, which you've been so heavily anticipating. I knew you were checking the blog every day for an update, so I decided to stay up late instead of sleep the night before my flight out of Brazil. At least I'll be sleepy enough to sleep on the plane! I hope you enjoy getting to know the rest of my dear Brazilian friends and family! :D

Jefferson
I first met Jefferson a few days before Halloween. He studies computer engineering with Talis, who brought him to the church just to practice his English. A few days later he came to our costume party as Luigi. He was so convincing, we still call him Luigi. After a few weeks of Bible study,he gave his life to Jesus in early December and has been active and involved ever since, even speaking at a few Wed. night devos. We can always count on Luigi to be willing to go out to eat wherever we go.

The Jewells
John and Samantha Jewell are have been missionaries here for about a year and a half. They brought along Jonah, 7, and Andy, 4, too. Their children have adorable smiles and always have something funny to say. In March they welcomed Jewell #3, Ben, who inherited his brothers’ adorableness and cute smile. John is on fire for the Lord and sets many people on fire too. He is a funny guy and will tell you like is, which is (usually) a good thing for the church. Samantha is an awesome cook and makes great cappuccino. I really appreciate all of the wonderful ways they’ve helped me and the church in the past year or so, especially making us cookies and teaching us Rook.

Jonathan Braga
Jonathan is the athlete in the church. He loves to swim and does so competitively. We were talking about it once, and he said (about swimming), “It’s my job.” I have seen one of his competitions, and he does very well. He is the son of Osmildo and Marta and is a dedicated member. Jonathan is in high school and is learning English, so we occasionally have conversations in English. Every Sunday during confraternizacao (the time when everyone greets everyone else and we all get a whole lot of kisses on the cheek), he comes up to me, gives me a hug, and says “God bless you.” It’s so cute. I look forward to his greeting every week.

Maihana
Maihana is just adorable. She is almost finished studying Psychology at the federal university and is dating Robson. She gave her life to Jesus the same day as Sarah and has been faithful and committed ever since. She is the epitomy of a gentle and quiet spirit. She has such a sweet voice and a quiet way of talking to you so that you feel comfortable, an important quality for a psychologist.

Rejane (pronounced hey-jah-nee)
I met Rejane when I came to Natal in 2007 and became a good friend of mine. She still is. She became a Christian through LST several years ago and is a dedicated member of the church now. She finished her bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at the end of 2008 and is currently working very hard to find a job, not an easy thing nowadays.

Robson (pronounced hobson)
It took me almost 9 months to be able to understand Robson, and sometimes I still can’t. But I do know that he is very intelligent and a very committed Christian. He is almost finished with his undergrad degree in Psychology at the federal university. Robson doesn’t speak any English, but the phrases he does know he uses with me whenever he sees me. Whenever I think of him, I’m going to hear him saying “The book is on the table,” “Nice to meet you,” and my personal favorite, “Hot dog!”

Sarah Thomaz
Oh what to say about Sarah. She was one of my readers in 2007, one of the best I’ve ever had. She began studying the Bible after I left and gave her life to Jesus at the end of that same year. Since then, she has been very involved in the church and very committed in her faith. Last year, she almost single-handedly organized the 2-day VBS and did a wonderful job. Sarah studies computer engineering at the federal university. Her favorite pastime is teasing people, or “tirar onda” as we say in Portuguese. Most of the teasing I do in Portuguese I learned from her. Though she loves to tease, she doesn’t love being teased, which makes it more fun, right? Sarah also speaks English very, very well but will only speak to me in Portuguese. Some day we will talk in English again, Sarinha. Wow, I am going to miss her.

The Signorettis
Roberto and Marisa Signoretti are the other missionary couple at the church and are the parents of Andressa. They are incredibly amazing people. They gave up great jobs with lucrative salaries in the south of Brazil to work with the church here in Natal. Roberto shares the preaching with the other male missionaries and does hundreds of things I don’t know about. He is also the one we usually turn to when we have a problem with something, like the apartment. He is really funny, in Portuguese and English, and he knows how to get things done in this city. He loves desserts of any kind and has eyes for anything fancy. Marisa is one of the hardest-working people I know and has one of the kindest hearts of anyone in this city. She will do anything she can to help you. If she can’t help you, she will for sure find someone who can. She teaches 3 basic English classes at the church, teaches a literacy class for older women who haven’t yet learned to read, and helps lead a cooking class, along with teaches the ladies Bible class, cooking delicious foods, and making the best coffee that’s ever passed my lips. Roberto and Marisa are very cool people and have become like my Brazilian parents.

Talis Lincoln
I met Talis last July when I first arrived in Natal. I started to read with him in August, I think. As our reading sessions progressed, he became more involved with the church and started forming friendships with church members. Before long, he was best friends with several of the youth of the church. He gave his life to Jesus in December, the same day as Jefferson, who he introduced to the church. Talis has become one of the most committed people and grown so much in his faith. I was priviledged to witness this growth from the beginning. He has become a good friend to me and to almost everyone else at Comunidade de Cristo. He studies computer engineering at the federal university. This coming August, Talis will achieve one of his lifelong dreams when he travels to Canada to study English and engineering. He is beyond excited, and I am so happy for him! And thanks to Talis, I have (way) much more confidence that I will someday be able to drive a standard. He was a great teacher.

Tania and family
This family has become so important to me. I saw them almost every day. Tania has been a member of the church longer than anyone else currently attending there. She is a very strong women, and I have learned so much from her, such as when you’re walking through a favela, pretend like nothing’s amiss and greet the people you see like friends. Her children, Ingrid, Isabel, and Irvaine, are wonderful and precious. They are the most well-behaved Brazilian kids I’ve ever met. They have big dreams that I hope they achieve someday. It saddens my heart greatly to know that I had to say goodbye to them. I love each of them dearly. They are in my heart, and there is no way I’ll ever be able to forget them.

Thiago and Kelly
The newest engaged couple at the church. They met in a class last fall and started dating. Soon after, Thiago got involved with the church and gave his life to Jesus late last year. He is a super cool person. Even though he doesn’t speak English, he randomly throws out English words in our conversations. I love it. He is studying Physics at the federal university and works for an electric company here. Kelly is super sweet and really funny. She is studying to pass the test to get into the federal university. They became engaged last week and will be married in October. One of saddest parts about leaving is knowing that I can’t be here for their wedding.

Well, you have now met my dearest friends and family members here in Natal. I promised you a photo album. Here it is! I really hope I didn’t forget anyone. I have been so blessed to know each person on this list, and I pray that I will see them again on Earth. If nothing else, I’m coming back in 2014 to celebrate the World Cup (in Soccer) the Brazilian way!

Tomorrow I will get on a plane to go back to the USA. I am very excited to see my friends and family there, but a piece of my heart, a part of me, will always be here in Natal, Brazil. And a piece of Natal, Brazil, will always be in my heart.

No comments: