Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back in the USA

I am back in the USA. The last few days have been a whirlwind. Just crazy. If you’ve never lived in a different country, you can’t imagine how weird it is to return to your own after being gone so long. To give you a little glimpse into my transition, I’m going to let you into my mind. (Don't be too scared.) Here are some of my reactions to the USA. My thoughts are in italics. Actual conversations or things that came out of my mouth are not. I hope this helps you understand the transition process a little better. (Sorry, it’s a little long.)

I can’t believe it’s today.
• Do I really HAVE to get on the plane?
• See you later, Natal. I miss it already! Turn this plane around.
• Why are those people speaking English? I haven’t left Brazil yet. Speak Portuguese please.
• Oh my. I just left Brazil. Am I ready for this?
• Wow, I understand everything that’s coming out of their mouths!

• “They’re jist heardin’ us in here like cattle.” Welcome back to the South of the USA, Lacy.
• Why is there no trashcan in this stall??? Where do I put the....oh yeah. TP can go in the toilet here.
• Everyone here looks like a tourist.
• Arkansas!
• There they are! Hello family! I knew my grandpa would be crying.
• Ok Dad, can’t breath here.
• Is this Simon or Eli? Simon’s as tall as me! Bekah’s taller than me! Geez, have they been snacking on Miracle Grow?
• Melinda! Charity! Ahhhh!!!!

• “Where’s your Brazilian man?” And so it starts…
• “Did you bring back a person in these bags?”
• “OH. MY. GOODNESS . It is HOTTTTT out here!!!!!!!!!!!!”
• “Where do you want to eat?” BBQ! I think I know where one is, but it’s been about a year, so I could be wrong…
Oh sweet tea. I have missed you.
• Holy cow, this BBQ sauce is SPICY. Yes!

• “That car is chique.” “That car is what?” “Chique…oh, that’s not English.”
Geez, there really is a McDonald’s on every corner.
• This sink has cold AND hot water?!
• Wow, I pull one paper towel out and another comes automatically. Cool!

• “Were these walls this color when I left?”
What happened to my room?! It didn’t look like this last year. It’s beautiful!
• Oh Scarlet (my car), I have missed you. Wow, you’re clean. Not for long…
• The first thing I do in my car is back out of the garage? Uh-oh.

• “Are ya’ll sure you want to ride with me?”
Oh my goodness! I’m driving! Heeey!
• “Stoplight. What do I do?”
• “Sonic has a dollar menu?!” “Why is there a banana on the dollar menu?”
The roads are so calm. People stay in their lanes? I can turn left?
• I can’t believe I’m in Arkansas. I miss Natal!
• Hello Wally World.

• “We are parking as far away from other cars as we can.”
Shaving cream is how much? Wow, peanut butter is so cheap!
• Dollars are so ugly. Why can’t I use Reais?
• It just doesn’t seem right to put the TP in the toilet. Will it really not hurt it?
• Hot shower? I think I will. Ow! Too hot! Too hot!
• Ok, I realize it’s about 100 degrees outside, but does it have to be 30 degrees inside?

• “I’m going to need pajama pants and socks. It is COLD in here!”
• “Where am I?”
WOW. It is so hot!
• Bible class in English! I understand everything! KJV? Ok, haven’t missed that.
• Everyone is singing in English. Beautiful.
• Oh yeah, he’s speaking English. I can listen and understand.

• “Lacy,it’s good to have you home.” Thank you.
• “You look great.” Thanks. I wonder how I was supposed to look?
• “I bet you’re glad to be home.” Glad to be back? Well, I’m happy to see my family.
• “You look like they had lots of good food to eat down there.” Uhhhh????
Wow, those are beautiful tomatoes.
• BLUEBERRIES! BLACKBERRIES! YUUUUUM!!!
• The Jonas brothers have their own TV show? Seriously? Why?
• Where are the legendas? Oh yeah…
• There is so much space here!

• “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I miss the city.”
It looks like a foreign country.

Well, there were a few of my thoughts, conversations, and some things I’ve heard over the last few days. There have been other funny moments, but at the moment I’m not remembering them. Big surprise. As much as has changed over the last year, some things are still the same.

2 comments:

Cris said...

you look like they had lots of good food to eat down there???? best comment ever. also very brazilian. it was God's way of bringing you a little piece of Brazil right there in Boone County.

Cyndi said...

Thanks for sharing!