Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pirates and Rednecks and Mummies Oh My!

Halloween will never be the same for me. I don't usually celebrate this holiday aside from carving a pumpkin and/or watching a scary movie. So I wasn't expecting to do anything this year considering I would be in a country where halloween isn't a big deal. I'm so glad I was so wrong. Warning: due to a great two days and lots of pictures, this post will be long.

Thanks to one of Halloween's biggest fans (besides my good friend Charity), Samantha Jewell, Cris and I teamed up with the American missionaries to throw an LST costume party. We held it on October 30. First of all, any party here in Brazil will be a good time. If you want even more fun, add costumes. We told everyone not to dress up as anything evil and to be creative. Despite the fact that so many thought they had no idea what wear, they did a great job with the costumes. I have only a very tiny creative bone in my body, so coming up with costume was not the highlight of my month. In the end, I decided to go as...a Brazilian (very tiny creative bone, remember?). When I told some of my Brazilian friends this, the first thing they said was "Don't wear a bikini!" Haha, no worries there. I went all out, dying my hair so I wouldn't be so "blonde" and even painting my nails as the Brazilian girls do, red on the fingers, clear on the toes. I told them to enjoy it now because they probably will never see red nail polish on my fingernails again. It just doesn't work for me. I completed my ensemble with a pair of jeans folded up at the bottom, really high platform shoes that felt like I was walking on my tiptoes all night (yes, it hurt. and yes, I took them off before the party was over.), a borrowed yellow shirt that said Brazil, and a pair of earrings I bought here on my trip last year (one side is just a ball that hangs and the other is a long layer of feathers and jewels). Everyone looked so good! Here are a few of my favorite costumes.

A family of caipiras, Brazil's version of the "redneck"



Who knew a pink flower, a soccer player, a redneck, Christmas, and a hardcore motorcylist could be such good friends?



Pirates and Mummies are only friends one day a year



Ok, so it was really hard to choose just a few pictures. You have to see the rest of the costumes in my Facebook album.

As you can probably already tell, it was a great party! We kicked it off with a mummy-wrapping contest. They took the task seriously. Poor mummies.

Mummies don't need to see or breathe, right?



The winning mummy



Then, probably the best part of the night, we got to enjoy each other's creations with a costume fashion show. The next time you are involved in planning a costume party, you MUST do this. The winner was Cyndi as the woman at the well, or "a mulher samaritana" as they called her in Portuguese. Although Greg made a great Roman philosopher. Check him out showing off at the fashion show.



Then we took a break and ate hot dogs, cookies, and cupcakes. To end the festivities, everyone went trick-or-treating door-to-door in the church building. Hearing shouts of Trick-or-Treat, or more accurately, Chick-o-Cheet, has never made my ears happier.



Then we ran out of candy so we said a prayer and everyone left, which was good because we were all exhausted from the fun of the evening.

Yesterday was the official day for halloween. And I enjoyed it immensely. What did I do? I slept in, went to the beach, and had some acai. That my friends is the best way to spend halloween. I hope all of you had a great holiday. May God bless you during November!

P.S. I might get CNN in English so I can watch the election results. Woohoo! Unfortunately, that depends on if the cable guy comes before Tuesday. Cris and I think he'll show up at 8 am on Wednesday morning. Hopefully, the USA has a new president by then. Happy Voting!

No comments: