Friday, October 24, 2008

The Price of Being Valuable

A little over a month ago, my wonderful Dad who I love so much mailed me a package. At the post office in Harrison, AR (where international mailing is about as common as someone voting Democrat), the post office guy asked how much the contents of the box were worth. My dad said nothing, which was pretty much correct. There wasn't anything of great monetary value in the box. So PO guy says, well I'll put $100 so if it gets lost, you'll get that much in insurance. It was a nice thought. I appreciate PO guy's concern for the potential loss of my package.

So, I have been anticipating my package's arrival for about a month (ok, more like 3 but more so when I found out it had actually been sent. :) I love you Daddy). So, on Tuesday, when the doorman told me he had something for me, I was so excited. I thought my box had finally arrived. No. Instead, I got a card from the great people at the Church of Christ Student Center (CCSC) in Russellville. That was such a great surprise!!! It put a big smile on my face. :D See?

**If anyone from the CCSC reads this blog and signed my card, THANK YOU SO MUCH!**

So, no box on Tuesday. I thought maybe Wednesday would be the day. When I got home Wednesday, the doorman flagged me down. I thought for sure he must have a box to give me. Again, no. Instead, I got a slip of paper informing me that my package is at the post office in Natal but that I can't get it until I pay the taxes on it. What?! Taxes?! In the words of Andy Jewell, YOU...HAVE GOT...TO BE KIDDING ME! Poor PO guy. I'm sure he doesn't mail packages to Brazil very often. So he probably didn't know that here they charge taxes on packages valued over $50 and that the taxes are 60% of the value. So, multiply $100 by the exchange rate (which varies hourly) then multiply that number by 60% and you have the amount I will pay in taxes. In dollars, I will pay about as much money to get my box from the post office as my dad paid to get it there. Oh well, I'm just SOOO happy to finally get my box!

So, FYI, if you ever want to send me anything, make sure you don't put a value on it over $50. Better yet, just don't put a value on it at all (unless it really is that valuable. In that case, you might want to reconsider sending it by USPS). Oh, and it takes packages at least a month to get here. Just so you know.

But if you want to send me something, anything, please feel free. I love getting cards, Facebook messages or wall posts, emails, blog comments...really any communication from the people I love so much back in the good 'ol USA.

1 comment:

Michael Dodson said...

Thank you, Lacy, for your posts. I really, really appreciate them. I am very thankful for them because they remind me of my times in Brasil and how much I want to go back and help there. I am also very thankful for the work you are doing. Keep it up and thanks again. (I am very glad my sister sent me your email about your LST intership and your blog.)