Saturday, July 12, 2008

Forget the box...just think outside

I have been reminded every day since arriving here why I love Natal. I've met a lot of my new readers and their friends/family members/significant others. Some of them I'm already pretty good friends with already. I just love Brazilians.

For example, tonight the current LST team from Oklahoma Christian University had their farewell party. I started the party talking to a reader who shares my interest in linguistics. We talked about American English and British English and Brazilian Portuguese accents. Boring for you maybe, but interesting to me and Bruno. After the party, I talked to my future reader Ana Mara and her brother Hermony (er-mo-knee) who I met on Wednesday and saw a movie with last night. We, along with a church member and Ryan, talked and laughed for a while then started taking pictures. When pretty much everyone had left the auditorium, Ana Mara, Hermony, and another reader Tiago gave us Samba and Hip-hop lessons. Samba is a traditional Brazilian dance. Yes, we danced in the church (don't worry, not suggestively, and I was horrible at it). Then they helped me with my Portuguese. It was like we'd been friends for a long time.

Speaking of learning Portuguese, I have been. I've learned all sorts of good stuff. When I speak it, people shout "Ay Lacy! Esta falando Portugues (You're speaking Portuguese)!" like they're really surprised that I actually know words in their language. It's great. I keep being called cute when I speak Portuguese. My favorite words to learn are English words with Portuguese pronunciation. For example, Microsoft Word is pronounced worgeye; download is downloagey; powerpoint is powerpoinchey; milkshake is milkshakey; and internet is internechey. My absolute favorite is facebook, pronounced faceybookey. I love to say it how they say. Then we crack up for about 5 minutes.

I start my reading sessions on Monday! I am SO EXCTIED about it!!!! Please pray that the Lord speaks through me and that He gives me the wisdom I need to respond to my readers. The first English worship service is tomorrow, which, of course, I'm REALLY EXCITED about!! I loved our ones last year and can't wait for tomorrow! The firt Portuguese worship service is also tomorrow. You guessed it, I'm SUPER EXCITED!! The confraternizacao (like a meet-and-greet except you kiss everyone on the cheek) is my favorite part. I've been looking forward to it for a year. Praise God that He brought me back to Natal! Though, of course, I miss my family. I love you family and friends!!!

With muito amor (much love),
Lacy

P.S. I got the title of my blog from a t-shirt a reader was wearing tonight. Isn't it great?

2 comments:

Ted Knight said...

Hi Lacy,

This is Ted Knight and I just got home from the lectureship at Bellefonte. We had a great time. I have a good friend who does a lot of work in Brazil. His name is Tommy Boles and he preaches in Missouri...Willow Springs I think. We also have a dear friend who spent some time there years ago when she was single. She came home and wanted to work among the Portugese speaking people. She went to Fall River, Mass. There she met a Christian man who was trying to establish the church there. They were married and have three sons now. There is a congregation of about 120 people there now. All because she went to Brazil and then came home and followed up with her desire to teach people the gospel. May God bless you as you seek to tell the story of Jesus.

Your brother,

Ted Knight

Anonymous said...

Hi Lacy, 8-25-08

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
YOU ARE SO COURAGEOUS TO LEAVE YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO GO TO A STRANGE PLACE TO TEACH THE PEOPLE ABOUT JESUS. GOD BLESS YOU FOR LOVING THE LIFE YOU LIVE.

WE LOVE YOU,
VIRGINIA HAMILTON