Thursday, May 31, 2007

Party Time!

Hello from Brazil!

Thank you so much for praying for our party!!! We had the first one last night. The parties (or social events) give the church members a chance to meet our readers. We also get to meet each other's readers. The theme for this one was Arkansas. We did a skit about the different people you would meet in AR. I was a farmer. Everyone loved my "farmer's hat." We taught them to play 4 square and Wooo Pig Souiee. It was so fun to watch Brazilians calling the Hogs. :) We also had a cakewalk where they won Little Debbie cakes that Cyndi brought from AR. They loved the Little Debbies! Bryan ran the football toss, which was a big hit. He had a long line of people waiting to try to get the football in the bucket. It was great. I just talked to different people, mostly about AR and the USA. They had all sorts of questions about our state. They were surprized to find out that it is not on of the richers states.

In all, there were about 60 people at the party, about 30-35 of which were readers. Most of them brought a friend or family member with them. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. The church members said it was a huge success and gave us a 9.9. They didn't give us the full 10 because they didn't want us to get a big head about it. ;) Two of our readers attended the women's Bible class the church had right before the party, and the missionaries were able to talk with several readers. The only problem with this party is that we have a lot to live up to the next few weeks!

Everything is going really well here. My readers are great! I have had some really good discussions about the Bible, God, Jesus, and faith. Many of them seem interested in knowing what I believe and why I believe it. I'm really excited to see what God is going to do in the next few weeks! I really love this church and the people I have met. Brazilians are so open and friendly. One of my readers baked me a cake and gave me a book in Portuguese. How sweet was that?! Now I have to learn Portuguese so I can read the book!

I have a full afternoon and night of reading sessions. Please continue to pray for us here. Hope all is going well back in Arkansas! God bless!!

No comments: