Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Life

I've never been much of a city-watcher. But then again, I've never lived on the 8th floor of a building overlooking a city 20 times bigger than the largest town I've lived in in the last 23 years. When I lived on the 5th floor of Summit (or Nutt, as I refuse to call it) at Tech for 3 years, I liked to look out those big windows and see what was happening on campus. Unless it was the 10 minutes between classes, I usually saw nothing of interest. Not here. Now, I enjoy standing on the balconey of my apartment or staring out my bedroom window and watching the city of Natal. I always see something interesting, from a soccer game to a couple fighting on the street to a campaign parade, as well as the occasional helicopter. As I stare out at the city I now call home, with its dark alleys, decorative apartment buildings, and beautiful people, my heart fills with thanksgiving, and I am in awe of the God of the impossible. The God who whispers words of love and redemption and hears and understands words of faith and praise in all languages. The God who has perfect plans for each of His children and loves them all equally and unconditionally. Yahweh. Our Creator. Our Father. Who brought me here to Natal, Brazil, for a reason I have yet to fully comprehend. As I take in the beauty of Natal and contemplate the mysteries of the divine, I am overcome by a sense of calm. Life is right.

No comments: