Tuesday, March 31, 2009

7 years already?!

Today is a special day. Think about it takes me back to 2002, way back to when I was 16 and a junior in high school. That year, March 31 was Easter, a day special in and of itself. There were more people than usual at the Sunday morning worship service (it being Easter and all). I was extremely nervous but very excited and confident as I walked forward during the invitation song. I knew I wanted it. I knew it was right. No doubts. So I let myself go and gave myself completely to Jesus. Words cannot explain the excitement and joy I felt as I came out of the water. March 31, 2002, will always be the second most important day of my life (the first being the day I was born). The last seven years have been crazy. I’ve done things I NEVER thought I would do, things I only dreamed of doing. Traveling to other countries, living in other countries, developing leadership skills and being put in positions of leadership, becoming less shy and more confident and outgoing (if you knew me in high school, this would surprise you), seeing lives transformed by the love of Jesus. Not to mention graduating from high school and college. Has it been easy? NO WAY. The enemy is always ready to make me stumble and/or steal me away. Have I doubted? Yes. Been disappointed? Yes. Sinned? Absolutely. But the smallest blessing from God is worth every last difficulty, every tear, every disappointment, every bit of suffering, because my joy comes from life in Christ and the hope, love, peace, and purpose He brings into my life. I have never regretted my decision. God is amazing, all the time, in every way. At the time I may not have recognized that, but looking back over the last 7 years, I realize how true it is.

The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior! Psalm 18:46

But he [Jesus] said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10


In other March news:

- On the 21st, the young people at the Comunidade de Cristo church held the 3rd annual Youth Impact. There were dozens of visitors, including 3 current and past LST readers. The youth of the church put on a skit about the masks Christians wear inside the church. They did a GREAT job! Then John Jewell elaborated on that theme. It was a great night, complete with snacks, songs, and matching Comunidade de Cristo t-shirts. :D To take a look at the pictures, check out my Facebook album.
- I started an aerobics class at a local sports complex three mornings a week with Tania and Marisa. It can be pretty intense, but I LOVE it! It’s especially fun when we work out to “If You’re Sexy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands.” I’m the only one who gets a kick out of that.
- I still have a completely full reader schedule. It seems that if one person has to stop coming because of scheduling issues, there’s another person waiting to fill their spot. I’ve also started a basic English conversation class that has 10 students. We meet once a week. It’s been great so far. I’m REALLY enjoying it, and I think they are too. Though they may be a bit disappointed that I won’t talk in Portuguese as much as they'd like for me to.
- It’s still really hot here. REALLY HOT. But I’m getting used to it. I take about 3 cold showers a day. I no longer want to take hot showers, or even warm ones. In fact, I can’t stand it. Now that’s adaptation…or going native????

Have a great day and a wonderful April!!!!

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Happy Birthday! Praise God for that day and your decision.
You think it hot? hmmmmmmm